- European Recipes
- Travel Tales
This dish is a lot like the one I grew up with except without the bacon. It’s so delicious it can even be served as a main dish, for brunch or lunch. It’s a great side for a roast and can be varied a little with spices, ham instead of bacon or even added sautéed onions. I got this recipe from my favorite French Cook, Dorie Greenspan. This recipe is all over the internet, so it’s very popular, and so it should be.
It makes about 10 servings for a side dish and 5 servings for the main dish.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
1. Generously butter 9 x 13 Pyrex dish
2. In a large saucepan, bring salted water to a boil and drop cauliflower florets into boiling water for 10 minutes
3. Drain and rinse under cold water. Pat dry
4. Spread cauliflower out in buttered pan and sprinkle over bacon bits
5. Whisk together in a bowl the flour and eggs
6. When blended whisk in cream and milk
7. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg
8. Stir in 2/3 of the cheese
9. Pour over cauliflower and let it settle
10 Top with remaining cheese
11. Bake for 25 minutes