- European Recipes
- Travel Tales
An easy French dessert…. There’s nothing like whipping up a mixture of Chocolate, sugar and cream to make a delicious chocolate mousse that the French are so famous for. You can find ‘Mousse au Choclat’ at just about every café in Paris, and it’s so perfect for kids too!
Chocolate mousse is such a simple recipe; you probably have most of the ingredients at home already. Most French chefs use real chocolate but cocoa can be also be used and the result and taste is still heavenly. I happen to have some heavy cream left over in my fridge – no chocolate but I did have cocoa, so I knew just what to do with it. After whipping up this delicious dessert for my family it was gone in next to no time. It’s also perfect for dinner parties and can be made the night before – setting in the fridge and pulled out in time for dessert. Happy guests and a relaxed host. Perfect!
Depending on serving size - this recipe can serve up to 6 people (4 for large servings)
1. In a large saucepan, combine cocoa, sugar, flour and salt
2. Add 2 cups of heavy cream and heat well, mixing continuously
3. Beat egg yolks in a separate small bowl, add a few tablespoons of the cooked chocolate to the egg yolk, mix together
4. Pour egg/chocolate blend into the saucepan and add vanilla, continue heating until hot and well blended. Turn off heat and let cool
5. Using a mixer, prepare the whipped cream by whisking together 1 cup heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of sugar
6. When light and frothy pour whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture
7. Pour into dishes and let set in fridge for a few hours or overnight
8. Top with whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder